Saturday, May 30, 2009

EPISODIC LEARNING IS NOT QUICK

Learning starts at birth and continues until death. It is centered in the brain.

When we were just passed thirty, my wife and I traveled to Micronesia, where we lived for a year on the island of Saipan.

While we were living in Micronesia we visited surrounding people and places. In the Japanese countryside, we stayed in a Riochan (a simple country hotel with tatami mats on the floor, sliding bamboo shutters for doors and windows, silence and gentle movements, plus isolated night time revelry in a private room reserved for men’s sake parties).

While out walking one day we met a local Japanese artist, who was displaying his works of art. I acquired a simple (profound) black and white drawing showing artistic calligraphy (sumiee) characters in Japanese, which translated as “I Am Happy Like A Fish.”

Today I realized that the basic (bottom-line) difference between a fish and a woman is that a fish cannot speculate.

The art work, today, enlightens my wall in Honolulu, - almost forty years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment